Next up on #MeetThePNMember is Norfolk Country Markets
The 9 Norfolk Country Markets are all cooperative social enterprises. We always welcome new producers and members.
The 9 Norfolk Country Markets situated in Norfolk-Aylsham, Downham Market, Fakenham, Reepham, Loddon, Wymondham, Market Cross, Watton, Harleston, are all cooperative social enterprises. We always welcome new producers and members.
Most of these markets have been established for many years. All our members are part of a wider number of social enterprises across the country. We are all members of the Cooperative Society and work as cooperatives together. A full list of details of all the Country Markets across the country can be found on the Country Markets Ltd website.
The roots of Country Markets go back to 1919 when the Agricultural Organisation Society (later DEFRA) invited the newly formed Women's Institutes to become involved in its ongoing programme of setting up cooperative markets to sell excess produce. In 2004 WI Country Markets evolved into Country Markets Ltd in their own right and adopted the "Cook, Craft, Grow" logo, which is trademarked.
We produce local home-baked food, handcrafted gifts, homegrown plants, flowers, vegetables and fruit as well as honey, eggs and home reared meat. We try to ensure that everything is produced to the highest of standards. All our cooks have their kitchens registered with the local Environmental Health Office and have level 2 hygiene certificates.
People seem to be returning to embrace the traceability, quality and reduction of food miles, offered by our Country Markets, and want to support local producers.
It costs just 5p to join our cooperative membership, minimum age of 16 years. Please contact your local Country Market if you are interested in producing or even to come along to help out.
- Aylsham Country Market, held in Aylsham Town Hall, Aylsham Market Place, NR11 6EL every Friday morning 9-11.30am, tel 01263 862396
- Downham Market Country Market, check the venue, 1st Saturday of the month 9.30-12 noon
- Fakenham Country Market, held outside on the Cattle Market, Fakenham, NR21 9AW every Thursday (not January) 8am-12 in winter 9-1 in summer
- Harleston Country Market, held King Georges Hall, Broad Street, IP20 9AZ every Wednesday 9.30-11am
- Loddon Country Market, The Hollies, High St, Loddon, NR14 6AH, (not open January) every Tuesday morning 9.15am-10.30am
- Market Cross Country Market, THe Market Cross, Market Place, Wymondham, NR18 0AX 3rd Saturday of the month 8am-1pm
- Reepham Country Market, held THe Bircham Centre, Market Place, Reepham, NR10 4JJ, every Wednesday morning 8am-11am
- Watton Country Market, Watton Christian Centre, Community Centre, Watton, IP25 6AB, every Wednesday 8.30am-11.30am
- Wymondham Country Market, The Ex-Servicemans Club, Friarscroft Lane, Wymondham NR18 0AT, every Friday morning 8.30am-11.30 (March-Dec)